In 1950, a handful of women in a county adult education ceramics class formed Ceramic League of Miami. Together they nurtured their skills in their own garages before moving to what was then the Lowe Gallery at University of Miami. At the Lowe they boldly sponsored a national juried ceramics show in the 1950s, and again in 1964. They also began to sell ceramics at the Gallery.
By 1965, the League had outgrown its niche at the Lowe and jumped at the chance to move to a new Art Center on Kendall Drive. There it had space for tables and chairs, a chemical area and two new large kilns. The Annual Fair grew into an all day fund-raising day event, then expanded to include booths for members to sell their work. The Annual Members’ Show brought a noted artist to jury the pieces and give a workshop in his or her specialty.
By 1970 it was clear that the League needed a home of its own. It rented space in the building it now owns on 129th Street, bought a new kiln, begged for chairs, bought and begged five wheels and immediately opened a school. Later a second bay was rented, then a third, which became studio space for members. Class offerings expanded to include raku and sculpture in addition to wheel and hand-building. In 2001 the League purchased the space, including the the fourth bay for the sales Gallery.
The League is proud of its history of growth and community involvement and is excited about a future helping to stimulate the artist that exists in everyone.